Homemade Tortillas at Grandmas house..

When I was young my grandma would wake up extra early and make homemade tortillas for her meals throughout the day.  My grandpa was a lucky guy.  It would start with fried eggs and potatoes in the morning.  He had a ritual of how he would heat it.  He would take his butterknife and fork and slice the eggs until the yolk was fully exposed.  Then he would fold the eggs into his potatoes.  He would pour grandmas homemade salsa all over it, and then scoop it up into his torn off pieces of tortilla.   I can remember it as if it was yesterday. 

She made the tortillas so fast and she always let me help.  Mine would come out in squares, and she would reshape it for me, then cook it up.  As a treat she would take my hot tortilla and lather some butter onto it, pour some sugar and cinnamon onto it, and I had a sweet treat to eat while I watched her finish the rest.

Still to this day, I have the hardest time making the tortillas just like grandma taught me.  But I certainly try..


2 c. flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
5 Tb. shortning or lard
3/4 c. HOT water

Mix all together except water.  When shortening is peasized, add Hot water. Knewad on floured surface 5-10 minutes.  Form dough into ball, let set covered for 10 minutes.  Then  make balls, Roll out, and put on hot pan to cook.  I cant find my cast iron, so I used a fry pan, and it worked just fine.



And of course I made one of those little treats for me and sissy, while we waited for the rest to cook.