Love Story - Vol 6 "Megan ♥ Dave"

Todays LOVE story comes from Megan at So Buttons Blog
I am so happy to be able to add this to my Love Series of great stories.
♥♥♥
It’s funny how you can find something when you’re looking for nothing at all. That’s kind of how it was when Dave and I met.

It was January of 2002, the year the Olympics came to Salt Lake City, I was a freshman at BYU and barely eighteen. Both Husband and I were coming out of relationships. We met at a sketchy dance club, both in search for a change of scenery not involving a committed relationship. The last thing we were looking for was the one and only. I mean, who really is at an 18+ dance club? The epitome of non-commitment.

It was disco night. We danced a few songs together, alone and with our groups of friends, but I wasn’t too interested in him at first. In fact, it was my friend who was into him, not me. But when we both got bored and drifted off to the side of the dance floor, he started to spark my fancy. He was charming. He was cute. He had a killer smile.

We talked and talked the rest of the night. That was only the beginning. We saw each other every day for the rest of the semester. I couldn’t get enough of him.

I knew pretty quickly that he was the one for me. But I was young and careless, quick to fall in love, and nervous about making such a huge commitment. I had plans to go home to Boston for the summer at the end of the semester and I stuck to them. I knew a summer apart would either make or break our relationship. It scared me to death.

My sister and I drove home across the country that May and I cried for two of the four days. I thought I was making the biggest mistake of my life. Four months of dating wasn’t long enough to expect a long distance commitment, but I was terrified he wouldn’t be there when I got back. I could hardly bear the thought of my life without him. But when Husband couldn’t last six weeks before flying out to see me, I knew he was in it for the long haul. I knew he loved me too.

{at my sister’s wedding – the first time he visited me that summer}
The next seven months was a series of late night hours of talking on the phone and teary goodbye’s at the airport. All the best a long distance relationship has to offer. After my return to Utah in the fall for school, Husband went back to his home in California to work and save money. It was unspoken, but I knew it was for a ring. This excited me. This scared me.

I knew I loved him. I knew I couldn’t stand to be away from him. But I knew I was still young and didn’t trust my young over-active heart. My mind played lots of games with my heart that semester as I tried to prepare myself for the proposal I knew was coming.

All concerns were relieved when we were finally reunited for good in January of 2003. Being with Husband felt like home. Nothing in the world mattered when I was with him. I knew that I needed to be with him because being apart was too confusing and heart-wrenching. I liked who I was when I was with him.

One cold night in February, Husband took me out like he did every night. He took me on a reminiscent tour around Provo to all the spots that held precious memories of our time together. He brought me to one, we spent some time walking and talking, and then we’d get in the car and head to another. This was my kind of date.

Our final stop was a bridge we spent a lot of time on. The bridge was over a river that was surrounded by trees – a rare sight in the dessert of Provo, Utah. It felt close to my New England home and I loved to be there.

{the bridge}
It was late at night and quiet besides the sound of water running beneath us. We stood looking at the river, holding each other close, trying to keep warm from the frigid February air. We talked about all the places we had been that night. “All of those places are special because of you,” he said. He then slowly walked five steps behind me and said, “I never want to be like this.” Next he walked five steps ahead of me with his back turned and repeated, “I never want to be like this.” He returned to my side and leaned his shoulder into mine. “I always want to be like this.” He slunk behind me, wrapped his arms around my waist and snuggled his face into my neck. He added in a whisper, “Or like this.”

He took my hand and turned me to face him. “But one time, I want to be like this,” and he knelt down on one knee. He pulled out a small square box and opened the lid. The ring sparkled in the moonlight and I had no breath. My body started shaking and tears started coming. I grabbed his arms and knelt down with him. “Of course! Of course, I’ll marry you.”

{we’re engaged!}

After a long and emotional eight month engagement, we were married and sealed in the Boston LDS Temple in October of 2003.

When I made the decision to marry Husband, I knew that I loved him. I knew I couldn’t be without him.
When I married Husband, I knew I was marrying my best friend. I knew I wanted to be with him forever.
But I can honestly say, that 7 ½ years of marriage and three kids later, I didn’t know then how happy I’d be now. I had no idea how lucky I was to find a man like him.

I feel like the luckiest girl alive to be his and to have him as mine. He makes me better. He makes me want to be better. He inspires me and encourages me. He loves me and respects me. He amazes me every day. He is a wonderful father, husband, friend, and man. There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t thank the Lord that we met, by chance, that night nine years ago.


{me with the man of my dreams and our sweet family}

OH, goodness! THANK YOU MEGAN!
Talk about melt your heart!
I love this!
♥♥♥

If you want to participate in my Love Story Series, please
CONTACT ME!